First United Methodist Church of Monticello Florida was first constructed prior to the year 1828 at which time it was a small, log church, with an unknown religious affiliation. On April 24, 1832 Adam Wirick, a minister on the Leon County Circuit, and the trustees on the Methodist Episcopal Church purchased the lot that the church was on.
The log church was used until 1844 when half of the present property was purchased for construction of a frame building. Also at this time the church changed its name from Methodist Episcopal Church to Methodist Episcopal Church, South, due to Unification. The remainder of the block was purchased in 1879 and 10 years later, the present structure was erected. The choir loft was added in 1907 for the installation of the first pipe organ in any Methodist Church in Florida.
More recent additions to the church include the classroom addition to the church structure which began in 1941 and the old fellowship hall which was erected in 1958. Methodist Episcopal Church, South changed its name twice more, once in 1939 to The Methodist Church and then finally in 1968 to First United Methodist Church.